Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Fall Flavor: Betty’s Bee’s Knees by D.C. Mixologist, Marco Maffeo


Not only is he great for updates on D.C.’s hottest nightlife, Marco Maffeo has concocted a delicious cocktail recipe just for you—and Sloop Betty fans everywhere! Sip on it and let us know what you think on Facebook. Thanks, Marco!

What's so good about fall? The weather is getting colder, old man winter is breathing down our necks, and our backs our sore from raking up all those “beautiful” leaves. Sometimes I struggle to find the positives of this transition season, but then I look down at my glass and think, “This isn't so bad!” Now is a time filled with unique flavors that keep us warm and cozy—and fill our cups with some mouth-watering cocktails. Sloop Betty is such a versatile style vodka, and I took her to my cocktail laboratory and created a variation of a classic cocktail (the bee's knees) that keeps her spicy and spunky.

Betty's Bee's Knees
2oz Sloop Betty Vodka
1/2oz Honey
3/4oz Fresh Lemon Juice
1/4oz Pear Williams (or 1/2oz Fresh Pear Juice)
1 Raw Egg White (don't be scared!)

Directions
In a mixing tin, combine ingredients. Dry shake (without ice) to create a nice foam from the egg white. Add ice, shake, and strain over ice in a rocks glass. Garnish with 1 pinch of nutmeg and 2 pinches of cinnamon.

Cheers,
Marco Maffeo

A bit more about Maffeo:
In 2005, I began my career in the hospitality industry working at the finest restaurant in Vermont while finishing up an Engineering Degree. A couple years later on a whim, I moved to Washington, D.C., managing to squeak my way into a coveted position at the city's premiere "member's only" club. I was trained by well known mixologist, Stefan Trummer, in the classic fashion. Through him, I got my foundation of true mixology, and what it means to be a complex mixologist.

With this extensive training and experience, I was offered a position at W Hotel DC's P.O.V. Lounge. The move gave me the opportunity to study under the world's leading cocktail mind, Sasha Petraske. His training is based on the pre-prohibition style, a skill that few have the privilege of boasting. The past few years I've been honing my skills and experimenting in the new frontier of "molecular mixology," a field pioneered by Ferran Adria from El Bulli in Spain.

Contact:

No comments:

Post a Comment