Thursday, December 20, 2012

Three Reasons to Drink Local Vodka During the Holidays!


The inherent difficulty in making winter cocktails with Sloop Betty vodka is just that: it is vodka. Traditionally, winter cocktails are created with base spirits richer in flavor like rum, brandy, and whiskey.  Because vodka is defined by having an absence of flavor, this can be a difficult hurdle to overcome; especially when you want to be able to detect what premium vodka brings to the table. However, being both the architect behind the Sloop Betty formula as well as an experienced mixologist, I was determined to find new ways for Betty to enhance your holidays.  Most cocktails start with an inspiration or flavor concept.  That said, here's my story on this year's libations.

Stocking Stuffer
This cocktail is based on one of my favorite things to receive on Christmas Day, the Chocolate Orange (which I seemed to get every year growing up).  After slamming the foil-wrapped present on the table to separate the orange-flavored chocolate pieces from the whole, I always moved them to the freezer to enjoy later. Hence, our delicious, ice cold, chocolate orange cocktail. Enjoy!

Combine 2.0 oz. Sloop Betty, 1.0 oz. Grand Marnier, and 0.75 oz. Godiva Dark Chocolate liqueur in a mixing glass.  Add ice, shake vigorously, and then strain into a cocktail glass.  Garnish with shaved chocolate.

Poinsettia
This drink was inspired by a constant reminder of the holiday season—the beautiful poinsettia. While they may not be tasty to eat, their rich red color always brightens the atmosphere and warms the heart everywhere you see them. So, why not make a drink that brings about the same effect? I used ruby port to imitate the color, and then drew some holiday spice flavor from the bitters and ginger liqueur.

Combine 1.5 oz. Betty, 1.0 oz. Ruby Port, 0.75 oz. Domaine de Canton ginger liqueur, and 1 dash Angostura bitters in a mixing glass. Add ice, stir thoroughly, and then strain into a collins glass with fresh ice and top with a splash of club soda. Garnish with an orange wheel on the rim and a long straw.

Naughty & Nice
This might be my favorite one of the batch. It's a new interpretation of a great, cold weather classic—the White Russian. While I do enjoy this beverage just about any time of year, I have always preferred them in the winter months. I wanted to enhance the coffee flavor and support it with more diverse elements in order to bring about that holiday feel. The first time I tried it, I felt like a kid waiting up at night for Santa, having been good all year but naughtily staying up past my bedtime, anxiously awaiting the rewards I was about to receive.

Combine 1.25 oz. Sloop Betty, 1.0 oz. Trader Vic's Kona Coffee liqueur (substitute Kahlua if not available) and 1.0 oz. RumChata in a mixing glass.  Add ice, shake vigorously, then dump into and old fashioned glass with the shaken ice.  Garnish with fresh grated cinnamon.

That's it! I hope you enjoy drinking these as much as I did creating them.  For those of you near the Baltimore area, please join me for The Forgotten Cocktail Club on Friday, January 11th (at Maisy's on Charles from 7pm - 1am), where I will be serving one of these tasty treats along with other creative concoctions and classic cocktails to warm your hearts. Happy Holidays!

Cheers, Jon Blair

No comments:

Post a Comment